Saturday, June 26, 2010

Post 9: Entrance to Nice.. started with a BANG!

Hello!!!

So I feel that I am all "France-d" out, but hopefully once the girls finally arrive that will change!
The Dillon clan left me here in Nice with Mme Ledeuil, a Belgian student (who hadn't left yet) and another lady who is apparently staying in her house as well!
Lazara, the Belgian 20 year old young woman, actually was a HUGE help to me the first 20 hours I was here! She spoke pretty solid english/franglais (english and french combined) so we were able to communicate in the same "language."
Mme Ledeuil is VERY sweet, she gave me a hug and a kiss when I got emotional as my family left and I have been her puppy ever since. She leads me around Nice showing me how the trams work and where everything is, my phone now works because of her!
So today at about 10:30 we got a call saying that the rest of the girls were stuck in Rome and missed their flight because of a million different mistakes and lost luggage that wasnt actullay lost. So I was very upset to hear this...no americans!?!
BUT WAIT! Hallie Cross! of course, she took a flight from Charlotte, NC to Frankfurt to Nice! and she was on time-but since my phone hadn't been working I couldn't reach her! My Mom was able to call me and give me updates that saved my nerves! Phew!
Hallie was in a more uncomfortable situation though, she had flown solo the whole way and arrived in 2 different countries! and took a taxi to her house. The taxi driver of course, rips her off and drops her off at the wrong street! So poor lonely Hallie was wandering around with 2 suitcases and then of course when she arrived to her house...her Madame was not home!
So Claire and Mme Ledeuil to the rescue!!! but when we got to her she was fine and unpacking in her room, phew!
Hallie wanted to go out and explore so when we were walking to La Vielle-Ville we saw Lazara! Lazara was very upset and crying because her new family had already "ousted" her! "La salle de bain est inderdit, la cuisine est inderdit, le salon est interdit!" So what this means is that her family told her that she could not go into the Living Room, the Kitchen, or the bathroom during certain points of the day. ouchhhh!
Lazara is nothing but nice, and has helped me a ton! (she even told me, during one of our exchanges, that I had solid french and it was improving and that I should be fine without her). Her new family has not been very accepting of her or her vice of smoking (just like everyone else in this country)!
But she is fine now. And all is well, I got back from exploring with Hallie and Mme Ledeuil's uncle is over and is the typical french man with the raspy cute voice asking silly questions ask jokes :)

Carolyn, Morgan and MacKenzie have now arrived in Nice!! but they now must make the nerve-wracking call to their families to let them know that they are here! And poor MacKenzie is without her french speaking roommate, Jordan, so I hope she will survive!
Hallie, Ms Anderson (our dean back home) and I have been holding this up since about 10:30 this morning and for Ms Anderson, since 4:30 am her time/your time!

Michelle, Jordan, Allison, Mr Matanes (our French Teacher) and Mr Newman (our math teacher) are in Munich right now! and will be in Nice at 10:30 pm BUT they won't get to their houses till around MIDNIGHT!

Sorry for rambling but I wanna remember all the mayhem coming into Nice to compare it to the exit, which hopefully will be better for EVERYONE!

PLEASE email me or call me or post a comment! I'd love to hear from someone across the atlantic :)
Also please pray for all the traveling! It's pretty scary to travel alone in a foreign country without a guardian!

But no worries we will all be fine tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are going to get along fabulously Claire-y

    ReplyDelete